Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen document day (Oct 12 or 26)

Note that mediawiki allows pages to be in several categories. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Categories

 I think the main issues (mess) with the old wiki were:
 - not being able to contact someone if information is incorrect / outdated
We would need category and page owners for this. I will have to think about
this.

 - noone looking into pages that had become outdated
Agreed. I think we also faced the issue that we didn't know what was outdated.
That makes fixing it a harder problem

 - not looking for pages that might be outdated
Categories and attention boxes should help

 - most of the pages being immutable so you couldn't even fix stuff.
That is a MoinMoin feature (which should be resolved with MediaWiki). The
MoinMoin spamming protection is extremely primitive.

 So if we limit edit rights to certain user groups that is not a
 problem, as long as the groups are big enough to maintain the
 categories.
MediaWiki has quite fine grained user control. I will have to think about how
to set this up, but my gut feel is we should have:
- Admins
- Editors (get notified when people make changes, owners of categories)
- Authors (anybody with an account)

 Also it might be helpful to use a release mechanism - if any
 registered user can create pages, but they stay invisible until
 approval then this would save a lot of time for the regular authors
 and still keep up quality. (Thats working really well in my
 experience)
I think that is not advisable. I rather go for the WikiPedia approach, where
wrong changes are reverted by editors. I think we should try with an open model
and make it more restrictive it the open model doesn't work

Regards
Lars

There may be a few more. Will need to work on these a little more. It may
also mean that the MediWiki instance is set up that pages must have a
category and that only a subset of users can create new ones. Otherwise we
get into the same mess again.
I think the main issues (mess) with the old wiki were:
- not being able to contact someone if information is incorrect / outdated
- noone looking into pages that had become outdated
- not looking for pages that might be outdated
- most of the pages being immutable so you couldn't even fix stuff.

So if we limit edit rights to certain user groups that is not a
problem, as long as the groups are big enough to maintain the
categories.
Also it might be helpful to use a release mechanism - if any
registered user can create pages, but they stay invisible until
approval then this would save a lot of time for the regular authors
and still keep up quality. (Thats working really well in my
experience)

Greetings
Florian