Re: [Xen-devel] simple backend, frontend

To: Deepak Manohar <mjdeepak@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] simple backend, frontend
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:22:14 +0000
Cc: andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx, mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:55:33 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  Now if I need to add another custom backend using the same method as
> the netif or blkif backends dont I have to modify Xend as well?
>
> Is there a simpler way of establishing event channels between domains
> by directly accessing the API in xen/common/event_channel.c
>
>  Some assumptions that Im making - the frontend will be started only
> after the backend is running. Im primarily going to be using this
> frontend/backend for transferring large data between a user domain and
> the control domain.  So I will have to establish shared mem pages as
> well.

To set up an event channel and shared memory between two domains you
need some out-of-band communication, which may or may not be xend.
Instead the communication could be done via an interdomain IP network,
for example. However you arrange it, each domain probably needs to
know the domid of the other guy. Also both ends need to know the
address of the page they are to share, and the remote port for teh
shared event channel.

 -- Keir