Re: [Xen-devel] simple backend, frontend

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] simple backend, frontend
From: Georgios Portokalidis <georgios.portokalidis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:57:46 +0000
Cc: Deepak Manohar <mjdeepak@xxxxxxxxx>, mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:59:41 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:50:41 +0000, Keir Fraser
<keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have actually written some code for xen & xend allowing you to
> > request the creation of an event channel and share a memory page. It's
> > still work in progress, but it works fine. No crashes, very simple
> > communication scheme.
>
> Yes, for some things, where xend does not need to keep state on the
> channel (e.g., network address info, blkdev info) then having a way to
> get xend to just be a dumb channel for your evtchn/shared-mem info is
> undoubtedly a good idea.
>
> > The only possible problem i believe is the
> > ctrl_if_register_receiver(). I think you can only register a single
> > receiver for each control message type per domain. So even with a
> > generic shared channel mechanism you will be able to use it just from
> > a single driver/module.
>
> Use the subtype field, or create another field within your message, to
> demux on. Then have a small proxy module that registers with
> ctrl_if.c but then demuxes and forwards the message to the appropriate
> driver based on the demux field. You could have drivers register with
> the proxy module instead of ctrl_if.

Yeah, I thought the idea of a proxy module, but it is still a pain writing it.
The way things are now the subtype is used to determine the action.
The proxy module could actually offer a different interface to forward
messages to xen....
It's definitely one of the todos