Re: [Xen-devel] simple backend, frontend

>  Wht Im confused about is - both in the netif backend and the blkif
> backend the initial communication is with xend. The blkif initially
> sends - BLKIF_DRIVER_STATUS_UP

Correct.  It's a "hello, I'm ready for further instructions" message to Xend.
If Xend expects this domain to be a backend then it this is a signal that
it's ready to have devices created.

>  Now if I need to add another custom backend using the same method as
> the netif or blkif backends dont I have to modify Xend as well?

Yes, that's right.  Each frontend / backend pair tends to have a slightly
different control message protocol, which needs to be added to Xend.

Personally I don't think it's arduous to set up a new device type in Xend
compared to writing the device drivers in the first place (adding a new
device type is relatively short work in my experience).

>  Some assumptions that Im making - the frontend will be started only
> after the backend is running.

Seems like a reasonable assumption to make.

> Im primarily going to be using this
> frontend/backend for transferring large data between a user domain and
> the control domain.  So I will have to establish shared mem pages as
> well.

Interesting.  Were you looking at tamper-proof logging or was that someone
else?

Cheers,
Mark