Re: [Xen-devel] simple backend, frontend

To: Deepak Manohar <mjdeepak@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] simple backend, frontend
From: Andrew Warfield <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:33:14 +0000
Cc: mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:22:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At the moment, xend is probably the trickiest part in developing a new
split driver, given that (as you observe) it is rather intimately
involved in the event channel and shared memory page setup.  It is
absolutely possible to use libxc to do all of this without xend, I'm
just not sure off the top of my head if you will be able to have two
listeners coexisting on /dev/eventchan, and whether xend will play
nicely with another listener.

Obviously, adding support for new backend/frontend protocols is
something that we want to make very easy for development... This is
something that has come up several times in the past couple of weeks
and we are actively looking into the best solution.  In the short
term, you might want to experiment with a C implementation along side
xend, or try digging in to the python... I'll keep you posted as soon
as anything arises.

a.