Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Examples for using xl migrate -s ?

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 20:38 +0100, Florian Heigl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/10/28 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> sorry to disturb, but are there any in-depth docs about migration in xl?
> >
> > Not that I know of, sorry.
>
> usage as an exercise left to the user. :>

As part of the documentation day last week Stefano Stabellini posted a
manpage for xl which no doubt contains a few words on this subject.
Please could you have a look in the archives and see if what is written
there would have helped.

> > Perhaps an option to xl migrate-receive to have it receive a single
> > connection on a specified socket from a given source instead of
> > expecting things on stdin would be a useful compromise? i.e. you should
> > use ssh to execute that command "securely" then pipe the data to the
> > unsecure socket?
>
> I don't write network protocols ... I don't know which way of
> connection setup would be best, but using ssh to securely initiate
> things definitely makes sense.
> On the other hand I don't like the initiator of (the migration)
> something telling the receiver where to listen. That's like the NAT
> traversal stuff in SIP.
>
> Maybe, uh, something like:
> ssh into migration target, saying hi, please spin up a receiver using
> (stdin|network)
> server says: receiver ready at (stdin|network ip+socket)
> client sends to the correct destination.

I think that could work, yes.

> The advantage would be that the server could have the final decision
> about which interface to use, it might well be different from the
> SSH-facing one.
>
> > It's the Unix way, surely ;-)
>
> Hehe, getting me from the Unix angle, I feel trapped!

:-)

Ian.