Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Examples for using xl migrate -s ?

On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 21:47 +0100, Florian Heigl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry to disturb, but are there any in-depth docs about migration in xl?

Not that I know of, sorry.

> It appears this is not just me not knowing it :>
>
> Greetings,
> Florian

AIUI the argument which you give to -s must be a command which arranges
for it's stdin to be fed to the stdin of an "xl migrate-receive" on the
remote machine.

Probably that's a little bit of scripting on either end of the link to
spawn the necessary nc invocations.

Would it be useful to have a daemon mode for xl migrate-receive, i.e.
you would start it and it would listen on a dedicated port, forking to
receive each incoming connection. That would not be a good idea in
general but for a dedicated migration network it would be ok.

Perhaps an option to xl migrate-receive to have it receive a single
connection on a specified socket from a given source instead of
expecting things on stdin would be a useful compromise? i.e. you should
use ssh to execute that command "securely" then pipe the data to the
unsecure socket?

> What I can think of ( -s "ssh other box, run netcat listener there;
> launch nc locally and receive migration data) sounds absolutely
> disgusting...

It's the Unix way, surely ;-)