Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Examples for using xl migrate -s ?

Hi,

2011/10/28 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> sorry to disturb, but are there any in-depth docs about migration in xl?
>
> Not that I know of, sorry.

usage as an exercise left to the user. :>

> Perhaps an option to xl migrate-receive to have it receive a single
> connection on a specified socket from a given source instead of
> expecting things on stdin would be a useful compromise? i.e. you should
> use ssh to execute that command "securely" then pipe the data to the
> unsecure socket?

I don't write network protocols ... I don't know which way of
connection setup would be best, but using ssh to securely initiate
things definitely makes sense.
On the other hand I don't like the initiator of (the migration)
something telling the receiver where to listen. That's like the NAT
traversal stuff in SIP.

Maybe, uh, something like:
ssh into migration target, saying hi, please spin up a receiver using
(stdin|network)
server says: receiver ready at (stdin|network ip+socket)
client sends to the correct destination.

The advantage would be that the server could have the final decision
about which interface to use, it might well be different from the
SSH-facing one.

> It's the Unix way, surely ;-)

Hehe, getting me from the Unix angle, I feel trapped!