Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal for init/kexec/hotplug format for Xen

On 27 Feb 2005, at 19:10, Anthony Liguori wrote:

You sound like you are more worried about the device-channel setup/teardown/probe/recovery code. That would be above libidc, if we use libidc at all.

I'm currently prototyping a semaphore mechanism. One of the nice things I realized is that if a message queue uses semaphores, then something like xcs is unnecessary.

The purpose of xcs was to shim under xend and allow certain message types to be redirected to other tools. It won't be required in the next-gen tools anyway -- it's usefulness is entirely orthogonal to whether or not we have semaphores.

What I'm thinking about right now is how to assign out ports for notification. It's somewhat non-trivial to figure out the best way to manage that. Any thoughts?

The difficulty may be that, in the case of normal SysV IPC you have a common OS instance to manage shmem namespaces and semaphores and so on. For IDC over Xen you do not have this luxury, unless you modify Xen, or you are building over higher-level communication primitives (which perhaps defeats the purpose).

 -- Keir