Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal for init/kexec/hotplug format for Xen

Keir Fraser wrote:

The way I envision this working is to have a persistent store in user-space on a priviledged domain that exported within it's tree the OF device-tree. This way management app information (the domain's name, an icon associated with it, etc.) would not be stored in the OF tree. If you needed to blow away a portion of the store because of an misbehaving management app you do not lose any of the vital device information.

So you agree that the device info ought to reside within the persistent store? I certainly wasn't suggesting that

Yes. I was only pointing out that I think the persistent store should be in userspace. One approach would be to have another tree within the hypervisor that was the global persistent store. An advantage of that would be that it would be accessible by all domains without any special supporting software (like a TCP/IP stack).

I think keeping the store in userspace has more advantages (mainly robustness and extensibility). It sounds like we're all in agreement though :-)

Regards,
Anthony Liguori

 -- Keir