Re: [Xen-devel] iscsi

To: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] iscsi
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:43:49 +0000
Cc: Rolf Neugebauer <rn@xxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:45:01 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In the near future I want to be able to run other operating systems that
> do not have iscsi initiator support, nor ever will, in virtual machines.
> For this NFS/RAMDISK root is not an option. Thus I need to take the LUN
> mapping approach. I'll just have to hope that I can pull the Adaptec
> iSCSI HW initator driver into Xen, and that all the configuration tools
> will work.

On a more general note, Xen currently assumes that all vbds are
backed by local disk. We need a mechanism to 'plumb' a specified
vbd such that read/write requests go to another domain (where
arbitrary processing can be performed) rather than out to local
disk.

We need this for a whole bunch of different applications people
want to use Xen for (honeypots, debugging, fault injection,
hardware transparency etc.).

Fortunately, this kind of thing is going to be quite a bit easier
under the ring-1 I/O model. I think the performance will be
pretty good -- we'll never copy data, and attempt to minimize the
number of protection domain switches through pipelining.

Ian