RE: [Xen-devel] iscsi

To: "Kip Macy" <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] iscsi
From: "Williamson, Mark A" <mark.a.williamson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:57:08 -0000
Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:58:54 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> My intention is to have domain 0 boot from local disk, but have all of
> the non-privileged domains boot off of iscsi backed VBDs.

Do you mean standard Xen VBDs or is there an iSCSI thing called "VBDs"?
If you mean what I think you mean, I'm not sure it would currently work:
Xen's / XenoLinux's VBD code AFAIK are purely capable of virtualising
local physical disks.

To clarify what I mean (apologies if this is redundant info) -
VBDs are implemented at the Xen level, not at the XenoLinux level: when
you create a VBD in dom0 for a guest domain, dom0 is telling Xen "grant
this domain access to this bit of disk".  The XenoLinux VBD driver then
talks to Xen (not dom0) to access the VBD that have been created (the
special case is that Dom0 has a vbd for each physical disk, giving the
impression of a normal setup).

Xen's VBDs can't re-export network-based block devices from dom0 (or
indeed any other kind of device that indirects through network or
filesystem layers in dom0), since xen is not aware of these higher
layers.

To re-export iSCSI drives from dom0, I think you'd currently need to use
NFS or something similar - to re-export them appearing as "just another
VBD" to the guest would require extra code.

Is this relevant or do I have the wrong end of the stick?

Mark