Re: [Xen-devel] Do the suspend/resume tools work with current Xen?

To: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacob@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Do the suspend/resume tools work with current Xen?
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:09:48 +0000
Cc: Xen list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:12:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> hi,
>
> I noticed that in arch/xeno/kernel/setup.c the contents of
> phys_to_machine_mapping[] are initialised on boot, but not upon
> resumption after suspend, which may be a problem with the newer Xen
> mmu_update semantics, as XenoLinux will now need to access this mapping
> to be able to correctly specify machine addresses, even after having
> been moved to a set of new machine pages.
>
> Has anyone used the save and restore tools with a recent Xen and do they
> still work, or is it correct that this mapping needs to be
> reinitialised?

The page frames containing the phys_to_machine_mapping[] are referred
to in the suspend record written by Xenolinux when it is suspended.
The mapping array is then rewritten by xc_linux_restore before
resuming the Xenolinux instance.

So yes -- that mapping does need to be reinitialised somewhere. The
default tools already do this.

 -- Keir