xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and priorities for SLES10 SP1

To: Gareth S Bestor <bestorga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and priorities for SLES10 SP1
From: Oliver Benke <BENKE@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:15:06 +0100
Cc: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:31:40 -0800
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Gareth,

sure, the metric implementation is available in open source anyhow so this
doc can be shared as well:
(See attached file: ExistingXenMetrics.pdf)

Short comments on current status:
- memory metrics: if /proc/refaults ever makes it into the mainline kernel,
this could really help us understand optimal memory size of a virtual
server
- CPU metrics somehow assume processor frequency is constant. If it's not,
we currently don't have any efficient way to deal with that, so metrics may
be misleading. If we'd externalize # instructions executed and related
metrics, this would be much more precise and higher value, however we can't
get such metrics from user mode
- I/O: I'd guess it's most important for now to get dom0 properly
instrumentation (e.g. based on existing SBLIM providers). But of course we
can discuss what else we can do here in addition. Ideally, the hypervisor
would capture using/delay statistics to show which virtual servers are
competing for the same resources. Would have the advantage that we'd get
the same metrics, with similar instrumentation, for ethernet network,
infiniband, iSCSI, System z FICON, ... whereas SMI-S and DMTF currently
need different models for various kinds of I/O

Best regards/ Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Oliver Benke

eServer Systems Management Technology
email: benke@xxxxxxxxxx  phone: +49-7031-16-3306
IBM Germany Lab, Schoenaicher Str. 220, 71032 Boeblingen

             Gareth S Bestor
             <bestorga@xxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
             xen-cim-bounces@l         Oliver Benke/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
             ists.xensource.co                                          cc
             m                         Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>,
                                       xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
             21.12.2006 20:47          Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and
                                       priorities for SLES10 SP1

The SBLIM Data Gatherer package - including some preliminary DMTF Metric
model implementation of Xen metrics - is located at

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128809&package_id=144595

Oliver, do you have a (non IBM-Confidential) doc describing in more detail
these metrics that we can share?

- Gareth

(Embedded image moved to file: pic28380.gif)Inactive hide details for Ewan
Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                         Ewan
                         Mellor
                         <ewan@x
                         ensourc (Embedded image moved to file:
                         e.com>  pic20988.gif)
                         Sent                                           To
                         by:             (Embedded image moved to file:
                         xen-cim         pic20091.gif)
                         -bounce         Gareth S
                         s@lists         Bestor/Beaverton/IBM@IBMUS
                         .xensou (Embedded image moved to file:
                         rce.com pic32439.gif)
                                                                        cc
                                         (Embedded image moved to file:
                         12/19/0         pic13874.gif)
                         6 03:53         Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>,
                         PM              xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
                                         xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                         om
                                 (Embedded image moved to file:
                                 pic10517.gif)
                                                                   Subject
                                         (Embedded image moved to file:
                                         pic26836.gif)
                                         Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and
                                         priorities for SLES10 SP1

                                 (Embedded image moved to file:
                                 pic28805.gif)
                                              (Embedded image moved to
                                              file: pic14666.gif)

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 02:58:21PM -0800, Gareth S. Bestor wrote:

> >What kind of metrics are we lookng for here?
> Oliver Benke has already implemented a few Xen metrics which he's checked
> into the SBLIM project Data Gatherer. These are conformant to the DMTF
> Metrics model, at least as it stands today. In terms of metrics I think
> the hard prolbem is getting good raw data outa xend and/or the DomU's.
> Exposing them as CIM object thru the SBLIM Data gatherer will be the easy
> part.

Do you have any notes on this that I could see?  I'd like to get the
stats gathering into Xend and the Xen-API soon, so I would certainly
appreciate it if you've got a requirements list for me.

> > ...I am not sure if we can do it all from CIM (since we are only going
> to go through the XenAPI).
>
> Doing everything thru XenAPI is certianly cleaner (and makes life easier
> for us) but its not an absolutely requirement... We can certainly ask to
> broaden the scope of XenAPIs coverage, but it may still be the case that
> the CIM providers will have to exploit other APIs/OS mgmt interfaces to
do
> things.

Yes, you certainly _can_ ask for Xen-API to be extended where necessary.
What do you need?  Don't forget, Xen-API is going to be the _only_ off-box
API
preserved over the long term.  It's in everybody's interests if the CIM
providers can do everything that they need through that API.  Please,
feel free to ask if there are bits that are missing.

Ewan.