xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and priorities for SLES10 SP1

To: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and priorities for SLES10 SP1
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:38:50 +0000
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:38:35 -0800
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 02:29:10PM -0700, Jim Fehlig wrote:

> The following unfulfilled Xen CIM requirements for SLES10 SP1 were
> compiled by Gareth and I at MDC.  I took a stab at prioritizing - in
> descending order.  Feel free to add anything that I might have missed or
> comment on priority.  We can iterate on this for a few days and carve up
> the work after agreement has been reached.
>
> Jim
>
> * Xend needs to support access by root on the local host without
> authentication.  Not all CIMOMs provide credentials of authenticated
> user at provider level.  This should be working in xen-unstable but need
> support in the providers.  Need to implement a minimal http client that
> can connect to Unix domain socket exposing Xen API.

Yes, this is in xen-unstable now.  I added a configuration option to
xend-config.sxp to allow you to open TCP ports or Unix sockets for Xen-API,
with listen addresses and host_allow lists specifiable, and with
the choice of whether you want the connection to be authenticated or
not.

# Example: listen on TCP port 9363 on all interfaces, accepting connections
# only from machines in example.com or localhost, and allow access through
# the unix domain socket unconditionally:
#
#   (xen-api-server ((9363 pam '^localhost$ example\\.com$')
#                    (unix none)))

The obvious configurations for the CIM providers are authenticated w/ open
TCP port, in the case where you can get credentials from the user, or
an unauthenticated Unix socket, in the case where you're running on the
box and relying on SSH or a setuid program or simple local root access
as your access control.

> * Need support for add/remove/modify of VM resouces.  This corresponds
> to AddResourceSettings(), ModifyResourceSettings(),
> RemoveResourceSettings(), and ModifySystemSettings() operations on
> CIM_VirtualSystemManagementService.  Implementing these methods allow
> adding block devices to a VM, memory ballooning, CPU pinning, etc.

Daniel Berrange submitted a patch to fix a few of these recently, so you
certainly ought to be able to get ballooning working.  I've got a patch
brewing to add support for the remaining resource settings, so you
should be good to go.

> * Need asynchronous method support.  In CIM terms, this means Job
> support.  In XenAPI terms, the Task class provides asynchronous support
> through XenAPI.

The Task class is present, but it's not implemented in Xend.  This is
new functionality that we're going to have to add (Xend just blocks all
requests at the moment).  libxen doesn't have the async method calls
either.  There's a reasonable amount of work left to do here.

Cheers,

Ewan.