xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and priorities for SLES10 SP1

To: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gareth S Bestor <bestor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and priorities for SLES10 SP1
From: Simon Crosby <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:54:24 -0800
Cc: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:54:12 -0800
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 12/19/06 3:53 PM, "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 02:58:21PM -0800, Gareth S. Bestor wrote:
>

>>> ...I am not sure if we can do it all from CIM (since we are only going
>> to go through the XenAPI).
>>
>> Doing everything thru XenAPI is certianly cleaner (and makes life easier
>> for us) but its not an absolutely requirement... We can certainly ask to
>> broaden the scope of XenAPIs coverage, but it may still be the case that
>> the CIM providers will have to exploit other APIs/OS mgmt interfaces to do
>> things.
>
> Yes, you certainly _can_ ask for Xen-API to be extended where necessary.
> What do you need?  Don't forget, Xen-API is going to be the _only_ off-box API
> preserved over the long term.  It's in everybody's interests if the CIM
> providers can do everything that they need through that API.  Please,
> feel free to ask if there are bits that are missing.
>
> Ewan.

Moreover, I believe we agreed that running the CIM providers off the managed
host on some other system (ie not in Dom0), is a use case that we need to
support - this for example would be useful for embedded implementations.
Having the CIM providers go around the API would be bad for portability and
for supporting various use cases in which CIM is required, but not within
each instance of Dom0.

Simon