xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and priorities for SLES10 SP1

To: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oliver Benke <BENKE@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Requirements and priorities for SLES10 SP1
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestorga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:47:05 -0800
Cc: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:46:56 -0800
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The SBLIM Data Gatherer package - including some preliminary DMTF Metric model implementation of Xen metrics - is located at

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128809&package_id=144595

Oliver, do you have a (non IBM-Confidential) doc describing in more detail these metrics that we can share?

- Gareth

Inactive hide details for Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          12/19/06 03:53 PM

Gareth S Bestor/Beaverton/IBM@IBMUS

cc

Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 02:58:21PM -0800, Gareth S. Bestor wrote:

> >What kind of metrics are we lookng for here?
> Oliver Benke has already implemented a few Xen metrics which he's checked
> into the SBLIM project Data Gatherer. These are conformant to the DMTF
> Metrics model, at least as it stands today. In terms of metrics I think
> the hard prolbem is getting good raw data outa xend and/or the DomU's.
> Exposing them as CIM object thru the SBLIM Data gatherer will be the easy
> part.

Do you have any notes on this that I could see?  I'd like to get the
stats gathering into Xend and the Xen-API soon, so I would certainly
appreciate it if you've got a requirements list for me.

> > ...I am not sure if we can do it all from CIM (since we are only going
> to go through the XenAPI).
>
> Doing everything thru XenAPI is certianly cleaner (and makes life easier
> for us) but its not an absolutely requirement... We can certainly ask to
> broaden the scope of XenAPIs coverage, but it may still be the case that
> the CIM providers will have to exploit other APIs/OS mgmt interfaces to do
> things.

Yes, you certainly _can_ ask for Xen-API to be extended where necessary.
What do you need?  Don't forget, Xen-API is going to be the _only_ off-box API
preserved over the long term.  It's in everybody's interests if the CIM
providers can do everything that they need through that API.  Please,
feel free to ask if there are bits that are missing.

Ewan.