Re: [Xen-users] Xen branches

To: Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen branches
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:41:22 +0300
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 05:42:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 06:12:45AM -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 11:15 +0100, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
>
> > Anyway, is the 3.4.x branch of Xen still "supported"?
>
> Supported by whom? Certainly, if you are running a distro that is
> vendor-supported or based on one that is (e.g. RHEL or CentOS), then the
> vendor is still supporting it. In particular, Xen 3.4.x is still
> supported by Red Hat on RHEL 5, and therefore it is also supported in
> CentOS 5.  This kind of "support" will typically mean that they backport
> security fixes and really serious bug fixes, but they don't add new
> features.

Uhm, no.

Xen 3.4.x is NOT supported on RHEL5/CentOS5 !!

RHEL5/CentOS5 includes Xen hypervisor 3.1.2 (+a lot of patches by Redhat and
from newer Xen versions).
That's the version that is supported by Redhat in RHEL5.

I believe xen.org is planning to release at least Xen 3.4.4 until 3.4 branch is
'forgotten'.
See: http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-3.4-testing.hg

"6 weeks ago:   Update Xen version to 3.4.4-rc1-pre".

Xen 4.0 branch is at Xen 4.0.1-rc4 atm, which fixes a lot of issues after Xen
4.0.0:
http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg

-- Pasi