RE: [Xen-users] Xen branches

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 15:10 +0100, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

>  what I am asking, is that are the Red Hat versions of Xen more
> "up-to-date", regarding security fixes, than the source directly from
> xen.org?

The answer is likely to be "it depends". Knowing only as an outsider how
Red Hat operates, I would guess that patches flow in both directions.
Red Hat may develop fixes for problems reported by their customers, and
if they do, I am sure they work with upstream providers to get needed
fixes incorporated. I am sure they also keep up to date on announced
fixes from the upstream providers and backport the important ones to
their versions. But without a detailed analysis it would be impossible
for me to say which is better overall in terms of getting the most fixes
the fastest.

My general rule is that as long as I am running a distro derived from
one that is supported by Red Hat for their paying customers, I just
track what Red Hat does because it is the easiest and it is good enough
for my needs. I then don't have to worry about whether the version of
Xen that I am running is going to be compatible with everything else on
the system. But I'm certainly not going to claim that Red Hat's versions
of Xen are "more up to date" with fixes than those from xen.org.

--Greg