[Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence
From: Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 05:46:06 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 May 2009 05:46:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I tried at first to build the integrated sources, but couldn't get it to work. I saw a list message that said it was broken, so I tried building the separate xen 3.4.0 and Linux tarballs.

However, no matter what I try, the build hits the Mercurial server to download the Linux kernel sources. I have tried a number of things, but I am completely unable to prevent the download.

May I respectfully suggest that it's A REALLY BAD IDEA to automatically download dependencies of you find them missing?

Much better would be to just list what the dependencies are in the README, as well as where to get them. If the build finds them missing, then it should just say so and stop.

I've been trying to get a working build of Xen for WEEKS now, with very little success. I am able to boot Xen and a pv_ops Dom0, but that's as far as I get.

Please help me.

I really, really want to be able to help out by contributing useful code to the project, but the troubles I keep having with the build have had me stymied.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc@xxxxxxxxx

   prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

      Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen