Re: [Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence

To: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:14:04 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:14:50 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 20/05/2009 07:57, "Ian Jackson" <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Much better would be to just list what the dependencies are in the
>> README, as well as where to get them.  If the build finds them missing,
>> then it should just say so and stop.
>
> I would actually agree.  Having a part of the build system which
> brings all the pieces together automatically for you would be good,
> but it would be sensible for xen-unstable.hg to be less enthusiastic
> about downloading stuff.

Perhaps we should more prominently advertise 'make install-xen
install-tools'. This should generally result in no downloads apart from
qemu, and that's a special-case dependency since it ties quite closely to
xen-unstable -- we can't just use any qemu tree. And of course you can
define XEN_EXTFILES_URL so as to make any download attempt fail, and then
you can go grab the packages yourself as you see fit and assemble your
requirements list. Imagine the noise on the mailing list if xen-unstable
didn't try to assemble itself automatically out of the box.

 -- Keir