Re: [Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence

To: Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence
From: Patrick Colp <Patrick.Colp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:57:08 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 May 2009 01:58:40 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Doing make xen and make tools should be just fine (I do this regularly, as I don't want or need Linux to be constantly rebuilt and reinstalled when I'm only changing things to Xen and/or tools).

Did you install them after building (make install-xen and make install-tools)? I think you need to be sudo for it to install properly.

Patrick

Michael David Crawford wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
Michael David Crawford writes ("[Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence"):
However, no matter what I try, the build hits the Mercurial server to download the Linux kernel sources. I have tried a number of things, but I am completely unable to prevent the download.

The build system is rather unfortunate.  You can completely prevent
the Xen build from building a kernel by setting XKERNELS=''
You'll have to build the kernel yourself then of course.

I'm afraid that didn't work - it still downloaded from Mercurial, and is building it now.

I'm just going to let it build, but use a kernel that I previously built.

Jeremy's suggestion to "make fetch-dependencies" is I think a good one.

I've tried "make xen" and "make tools", rather than "make world", but the impression I have is that they leave the build incomplete somehow. I was never able to get a DomU to load and would get all sorts of arcane messages.

I promise to keep trying though - I really *want* Xen to work.

I don't think it's so bad to automatically fetch all the dependencies other that Linux.

One reason I wanted to have my own Linux kernel was so I could use a RAID driver that I backported to 2.6.18 from the current release. I would imagine many users would have specific requirements for their Linux kernel that the default Xen Linux cannot satisfy.

Mike