Re: [Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence

To: Patrick Colp <Patrick.Colp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 3.4.0 wants to download Linux despite its presence
From: Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 02:11:18 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 May 2009 02:11:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Patrick Colp wrote:
Doing make xen and make tools should be just fine (I do this regularly, as I don't want or need Linux to be constantly rebuilt and reinstalled when I'm only changing things to Xen and/or tools).

I don't know for sure, but I have the theory that "make world" will build things that "make xen" and "make tools" don't, which will then persist in being installed when later tools builds miss some things.

Did you install them after building (make install-xen and make install-tools)? I think you need to be sudo for it to install properly.

I think I tried those just a couple times, but killed them when they started to build the Linux kernel again.

I've been using install.sh, but that turns out not to check that all the required files actually exist - it just installs whatever is in dist/install, even if something is missing.

I have a "make world" going right now, and will do a "make install" when that's done. I decided to just let it build Linux, just so I can be certain everything else builds.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc@xxxxxxxxx

   prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

      Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen