RE: [Xen-devel] wget and Zope crashes on post-2.0.6 -testing

To: "Osma Suominen" <osma.suominen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] wget and Zope crashes on post-2.0.6 -testing
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:32:20 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:31:37 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Unfortunately the machine is not completely in my control. It
> is owned by another company and I only have access to dom1
> and dom2, not dom0 (no other domains on the machine). But I
> will try to reproduce this on another machine. It might be a
> lot easier if there was a 2.0.6 demo CD, though...

Funny you should say that....

Please don't all download it at once, but there's a preview avilable at:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/xendemo-2.0.6.i
so

> Anyway, thanks for your input. I will look at whether NTP is
> involved and do some further investigation.

If you're running NTP in your local domain you should enable
independent_wallclock

e.g. echo 1 > /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock or put
independent_wallclock=1 on your kernel command line. [NB: someone should
document the kernel config option]

I'll wager that this is your problem. Hmm, that's a pretty nasty failure
mode. Without doing something gross and intercepting the adjtimex
syscall there's not a lot we can do about it.

Ian