Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 57852: regressions - FAIL

On 06/10/15 11:59, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> For Intel I'm less sure, I've got microcode-20150121.tgz containing
>> microcode.dat. Is that just to be placed at
>> kernel/x86/microcode/GenuineIntel.bin and done, or is there some
>> processing needed?
>
> The full blob (albeit usually named microcode.bin; microcode.dat
> ordinarily is a text file) can be used if so desired, but there's also a
> tool to split it into more fine grained chunks.
>
>> I've got a thing called iucode-tool in my hand from a Debian package if
>> I need it.
>
> Or maybe there are multiple different tools - the one I know about
> is commonly named intel-microcode2ucode taking microcode.dat as
> input and producing microcode.bin as well as many individual

Well, my version did not produce microcode.bin.  Based on:

processor       : 7
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 42
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31265L @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 7

and grub2 (Not sure for ucode=scan):

1) intel-microcode2ucode microcode.dat
2a) cp intel-ucode/06-2a-07 /boot/microcode.bin
or
2b) cat intel-ucode/* >/boot/microcode.bin
3) Make sure "ucode=-1" is in GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN
4) /sbin/grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

And you see microcode loaded on the serial console.

   -Don Slutz