[Xen-devel] Re: Xen balloon driver discuss

FYI, the balloon driver in 2.6.18 was meant to be working at some point. The xen tree has some drivers which will compile for 2.6.18 externally and will run in HVM mode. More modern kernels need Stefano's pv-on-hvm patch series to be able to access xenstore (which is a requisite for a working balloon driver).

 -George

On 28/11/10 02:36, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
Am I understanding correctly that you are running each linux-2.6.18 as
HVM (not PV)? I didn’t think that the linux-2.6.18 balloon driver worked
at all in an HVM guest.

You also didn’t say what version of Xen you are using. If you are
running xen-unstable, you should also provide the changeset number.

In any case, any load of HVM guests should never crash Xen itself, but
if you are running HVM guests, I probably can’t help much as I almost
never run HVM guests.

*From:* cloudroot [mailto:cloudroot@xxxxxxxx]
*Sent:* Friday, November 26, 2010 11:55 PM
*To:* tinnycloud; Dan Magenheimer; xen devel
*Cc:* george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* re: Xen balloon driver discuss

Hi Dan:

I have set the benchmark to test balloon driver, but unfortunately the
Xen crashed on memory Panic.

Before I attach the details output from serial port(which takes time on
next run), I am afraid of I might miss something on test environment.

My dom0 kernel is 2.6.31, pvops.

Well currently there is no driver/xen/balloon.c on this kernel source
tree, so I build the xen-balloon.ko, Xen-platform-pci.ko form

linux-2.6.18.x86_64, and installed in Dom U, which is redhat 5.4.

What I did is put a C program in the each Dom U(total 24 HVM), the
program will allocate the memory and fill it with random string repeatly.

And in dom0, a phthon monitor will collect the meminfo from xenstore and
calculate the target to balloon from Committed_AS.

The panic happens when the program is running in just one Dom.

I am writing to ask whether my balloon driver is out of date, or where
can I get the latest source code,

I’ve googled a lot, but still have a lot of confusion on those source tree.

Many thanks.