Re: [Xen-devel] kernel boots. filesystem troubles.

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:04:44 -0900
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:06:01 +0000

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:04:34PM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > - But these did not mount, and I don't know why (my other FS' are
> > commented out in /etc/fstab):
> >
> > /dev/sdb1               /tmp            reiserfs        defaults 0 0
> > /dev/sdc2               /globus         reiserfs        defaults 0 0
> > /dev/sdh1               /home           reiserfs        defaults 0 0
> > /dev/sdm1               /data/web02files        reiserfs        defaults 0 0
>
> Are these all attached to the same SCSI card as sda?

Card, yes.  Bus, no.

It's an Adaptec 39160 which is Ultra 160 SCSI with
dual channels.  /dev/sda through /dev/sdf (I think) are on
Channel A.  The rest are on channel B.

> One possibility is that you're probably entering new territory by
> trying to access any SCSI disc other than sda. It's possible that
> something in Xen's SCSI code is broken -- the non-sda case may never
> have been tested.
>
> In this case what's really needed is serial line output, and perhaps
> some extra tracing in Xen.

I will work on serial output, but maybe not until tomorrow since
I don't think I have a null modem here at school.

> I may test this out myself tomorrow -- we have machines that can
> handle multiple SCSI discs, but I think we've only ever booted with
> one connected (or, at least, we've only ever mounted from partitions
> on the first SCSI disc).

Both partitions from /dev/sda mounted, and none from the other
devices (regardless of where they are on the SCSI bus).  So, this
could be the common feature.
  -- Greg