Re: [Xen-users] RE: Does it legal to analysize XEN source code and write

To: Simon Crosby <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: Does it legal to analysize XEN source code and write a book about it
From: Tim Post <echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:36:18 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:37:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 08:47 -0700, Simon Crosby wrote:

> I suggest you read the GPL.  XenSource ensures that at all times the
> very best version of the Xen hypervisor is available to the entire
> community.  The power of Xen is that there are multiple routes to market
> for the core "engine": our own products, Linux distros, Sun etc etc.
>
> We respect the GPL to the letter.  Our product combines GPL Xen with
> XenSource add-on software that enables us to serve the broad market need
> for Virtualization, which is dominated by the Windows OS.  Some of what
> we do is closed source - sometimes by legal requirement.  You will find
> that Novell has the same approach for their (proprietary) Windows PV
> drivers.  Moreover Novell will use Xen with proprietary tools and a
> proprietary OS (NetWare) in OES.  All of this is entirely legal, since
> the boundaries between GPL and non GPL code in the Xen code base are
> explicit and very deliberate.

The four freedoms granted by the GPL are:

0 - The freedom to run the program (for any purpose)
1 - The freedom to study the program (source is needed for this)
2 - The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
3 - The freedom to improve the program and share your changes

See http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html

XenSource does not only respect those freedoms, they embrace them. They
are also entitled to make some money from their innovations, which they
do.

XenSource (unlike companies like Tivo) follow the license to the word as
well as the spirit of the license.

This can not be said about many others. <ahem, vmware>.

Folks, there is no question. It is not often that you'll see a 'fsf
fundie' support a large commercialized effort. This is one of those
times ;)

Xen helps:

* Non profits self-monetize to make up for a lack of donations
* Schools cut electricity bills (especially in the third world)
* GNU/Linux techs learn new marketable skills enabling work from home

... I could go on. How do I know? I live and work in S.E. Asia teaching
the technology and how to use it. I'm a Zen Buddhist and philanthropist.

This is a dead horse, please don't continue to beat it. If you do, I am
compelled to ask you to stop.

And please, stop calling Xen 'open source', it is free software.

Kindly,
--Tim