[Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.

To: Jerry Amundson <jerry@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.
From: Ligesh <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 03:11:15 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:44:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 04:17:54PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Tue July 18 2006 01:22, Ligesh wrote:
> >  How do we do the same on a windows VM? On a remote hosting setup, it
> > is always preferable to assign static ips to the virtual machines.
> > DHCP is cumbersome method to manage ip addresses.
>
> How DHCP got so darn popular, I'll never understand... ;-)

 With DHCP you have to keep track of two generally unmemorizable numbers--Mac
address and the ipaddress. With the method I have described, you need to keep
track of only one generally unmemorizable number, leading to a huge saving in
neural energy, ultimately leading a better universe and good health for the
entire species--not to mention that this is pivotal for the ultimate attainment
of World peace. Isn't that reason enough?

> Off the top of my head, there are a few cases to not use DHCP:
> 1. It's a DNS server.
> 2. It has a brain-damaged dhcp client that won't update DNS.
> 3. It's on a small and/or virtual net with no DHCP server.

 I have a specific requirement to assign static ips to a VM. My question is: is
there a way to accomplish this. In Vmware you can do it by defining a variable
machine.id in the config file variable, which can be accessed from inside VM
using the the vmware-guestd on linux or vmwareservice.exe on linux. This is
generally a good idea, and I want to know if Xen supports something like this,
or what I should do to get this implemented etc etc.

 Thanks.

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com