Re: [Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.

To: "tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.
From: "Chris McKeever" <techjedi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:58:55 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:59:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 7/18/06, tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

just as a side note... it is more usefull if you quote the things that do
work, as compared to the things that do not work.

for clarity - none of the network configs were passed via the command
line.  Therefore, none of the setup as described worked (outside of
using the extra parameter as you described)

Then again, I don't know why the xen code couldn't convert network
configuration parameters into the kernel auto-config format. I don't know
if it is a good idea, but it seems possible.

From what I have seem - it is supposed to:

http://www.nabble.com/IP-configuration-for-domU-ignored-t1779301.html

but in this case, it doesnt - for me at least.

AFAIK, all these settings are _mostly_ for configuring dom0 and the xen

Do you have any reference on this?  This is where I am confused, as
the mentions I have found (posted in this reply) indicate that the
config file will create the appropriate kernel command line string

network. Given that XEN can host basically any linux distribution it is
not realistic to believe that every distribution is going to fish out the

no fishing, from what I have found (although not proven) - xen does
the formating, and creates the passed string.

parameters that were configured in the xen config files and not over-ride
them with it's own settings. In fact, the default XEN "bridge" setup
basically requires that the domU configure itself.

AFAIK, The server-ip string seems to be mandatory, and 0.0.0.0 does not
work.

some reference to leaving it blank may work as well (untested):

- Chris

-Tom