Re: [Xen-users] How many guest hosts per physical host

To: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How many guest hosts per physical host
From: Florian Gleixner <flo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:52:49 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:53:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Grant McWilliams wrote:

> I have one machine that's an 8 core Xeon (32 GB ram) and am running 42
> Full CentOS 5.4 PV DomUs with Guis and 512 MB ea. The first 10 take

If you use the same linux distro and version on every virtual machine,
you can handle much more machines if you use other virtualisation
technology like virtuozzo, openvz, vserver or the new lxc containers.
The last one is integrated in recent kernel as far as i know.
These all run all VMs on one kernel. The VMs have no own kernel and
therefore you can share memory. You can also share filesystem caches if
you bind mount parts of your host installation. With that you can really
run hundreds of virtual machines with your hardware.
Drawback: Running different operating systems is nearly impossible.
Patching is hell.
But it should be possible to use both: xen and lxc. Opensuse 11.2 Xen
kernel has lxc requirements compiled in.