[Xen-users] PVGrub can't find config file for domU on logical volume

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] PVGrub can't find config file for domU on logical volume
From: "Matthew Law" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:09:59 -0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 08:10:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
After hours of googling and not really finding a definitive solution to my
problem, I'm a little stuck and would really appreciate some help from
others.

I have a CentOS 5.4 x86-64 server running Xen 3.3 from the gitco repos as
dom0.  On this I have created two logical volumes comprising 8GB for the
system disk (xvda) and 1.5GB for swap (xvdb).  I ran mkfs.ext3 and mkswap
on these to create the required filesystems and then I mounted the 8GB
volume and copied a system image onto it.  After creating the xen config
and starting it with pygrub the machine starts and runs without error - so
far, so good!

Now, If I shutdown the vm and change the config to use pvgrub and restart
I am stuck at a grub prompt.  If I manually tell it where to find the
config file (using the exact same path as in the 'extra' line in the domu
config) it pvgrub starts and everything then runs as expected.  Here is my
config:

--- snip ---
name = "pvgrubtestvm"
vcpus = 1
memory = 512
maxmem = 512

# pvgrub
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/pv-grub-x86_64.gz"
extra = "(hd0)/boot/grub/menu.lst"
#end pvgrub

dhcp = "dhcp"

disk = [ "phy:/dev/VolGroupVM/pvgrubtestvm,xvda1,w",
"phy:/dev/VolGroupVM/pvgrubtestvm-swap,xvda2,w" ]

vif = [
"mac=00:16:3e:00:00:09,ip=192.168.1.12,bridge=xenbr0,vifname=vifpvgrubtestvm"
]

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'
--- snip ---

Have I done something wrong? Is this an issue with pvgrub and logical
volumes - i.e. no partition table?

Many thanks,

Matt.