RE: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Ross S. W. Walker wrote on Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:15:48 -0400:
> > The soft-raid that you talk about wouldn't happen to be a
> > raid5 or raid6?
>
> No. I'm thinking of maximum 5 VMs in RAID1. Maximum 2 of them might have
> heavy I/O.
>
> Do you just RAID the whole disk (except for Dom0 /boot) and then put LVM
> on top or do you use several RAID partitions and put the LVM on these (at
> least one partition for Dom0 and one for the DomUs)?

1 RAID1 for 5 VMs should be fine if they are good disks, nice size
buffer, NCQ capable, reputable manufacturer. For SATA I like the
Seagate 7200.10 series.

No, do RAID over whole disks if possible (normally for dom0 system disk
it needs to be split between /boot and the rest of the disk though, so
that gives 2 raid1s /dev/md0 and /dev/md1). RAID is really meant for
whole disk and the performance is measured in whole spindles, if you
mix RAIDs across the same spindles then performance will suffer in an
unpredictable fashion.

For this setup I suggest 2 disk raid1 for system, and separate 2 disk
raid1 for VMs.

-Ross