Re: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?

To: Gordon McLellan <gordonthree@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:40:50 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:42:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gordon McLellan wrote:
I can't comment on some of the fancier images offered by jailtime, but
for something like Centos (or rhel), I recommend you roll your own
image.  I created a local mirror of the Centos 5.1 files, and it takes
about 8 min to do a kickstart installation.

>From what I've learned so far, xvda is provided by the xen block
device driver, which is either in the kernel image, or part of the
initial ramdisk (initrd).  I see in your config file you are booting a
special kernel, but without special initrd.  Usually they go hand in
hand.

Here is my centos 5.1 xen config file.  You'll note I am using an lvm
logical volume as the block device, instead of a loopback file.

# cat netserver
# uncomment the kernel, ramdisk and extra lines for a kickstart install
# make sure to comment the bootloader line
# after the install, comment kernel, ramdisk and extra, uncomment bootloader
#kernel = "/root/xen/centos64-xen-vmlinuz"
#ramdisk = "/root/xen/centos64-xen-initrd.img"
#extra = "text ks=http://192.168.2.8/centos64-2.ks";
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
name = "netserver"
memory = "256"
disk = [ 'phy:vg0/xen_netserver,xvda,w', ]
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', ]
vcpus=1
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
on_poweroff = 'restart'
#on_reboot = 'destroy'
#on_crash = 'destroy'
#on_poweroff = 'destroy'

This is the site that taught me how to do a centos domu via kickstart:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU

Gordon

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gordon

As matter of interest, what Server OS are you using, and what VPS OS are you using?

I'm trying to get 32bit VPS OS's work on CentOS 5.1 x64. This is something I can't get working. On a previous server, I have CentOS 5.1 x64 with the default Xen3.1 from the CentOS repositories, and the only other OS I could get installed was CentOS 5.1 x64 from a local CentOS 5.1 x64 repository.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com