Re: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?

Gordon McLellan wrote:
Hello Rudi,

>From that output, it looks like it has hung after the ssh service
starts.  I wonder about the VIF line in your xen config file.  Why is
it empty? Is vif = [ '' ] the same as accepting whatever default
adapter xen is configured to provide?  How long do you let it sit
there when it appears hung.  Depending on what it's trying to do, it
could take several minutes to time out, before moving onto the next
service.

You could try pressing "i" when prompted, and go through your services
one at a time, to see which one is hanging things up.
Ok, this is where it freezes:

Start service sshd (Y)es/(N)o/(C)ontinue? [Y] y
Starting sshd: [  OK  ]
Start service local (Y)es/(N)o/(C)ontinue? [Y] y

I just leave it, and nothing happens.
In regards to Windows, I have one hvm image of windows server 2003
which was configured using the virt-manager gui.  The install was
pretty straight forward, except that Windows was unable to detect my
PC type.  When I was prompted to press F6 to load additional drivers,
I pressed F5 instead, and selected "Standard PC".  As I understand it,
this tells windows which HAL to use for interfacing the NT kernel with
the underlying hardware.

Gordon

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gordon McLellan wrote:

I can't comment on some of the fancier images offered by jailtime, but
for something like Centos (or rhel), I recommend you roll your own
image.  I created a local mirror of the Centos 5.1 files, and it takes
about 8 min to do a kickstart installation.

>From what I've learned so far, xvda is provided by the xen block
device driver, which is either in the kernel image, or part of the
initial ramdisk (initrd).  I see in your config file you are booting a
special kernel, but without special initrd.  Usually they go hand in
hand.

Here is my centos 5.1 xen config file.  You'll note I am using an lvm
logical volume as the block device, instead of a loopback file.

# cat netserver
# uncomment the kernel, ramdisk and extra lines for a kickstart install
# make sure to comment the bootloader line
# after the install, comment kernel, ramdisk and extra, uncomment
bootloader
#kernel = "/root/xen/centos64-xen-vmlinuz"
#ramdisk = "/root/xen/centos64-xen-initrd.img"
#extra = "text ks=http://192.168.2.8/centos64-2.ks";
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
name = "netserver"
memory = "256"
disk = [ 'phy:vg0/xen_netserver,xvda,w', ]
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', ]
vcpus=1
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
on_poweroff = 'restart'
#on_reboot = 'destroy'
#on_crash = 'destroy'
#on_poweroff = 'destroy'

This is the site that taught me how to do a centos domu via kickstart:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU

Gordon

 Hi Gordon

 I actually want to get FreeBSD & Windows working on my CentOS 5.1 x64
server as well, so the jailtime images seem ideal.

 I've modied the /etc/xen/centos.5-1.cfg file a bit, and the VPS is starting
up, but haning at the sshd service:

 INIT: version 2.86 booting
               Welcome to  CentOS release 5 (Final)
               Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
 Setting clock : Mon Apr  7 13:02:55 EDT 2008 [  OK  ]
 Starting udev: [  OK  ]
 Setting hostname centos_pristine:  [  OK  ]
 Checking filesystems
 Checking all file systems.
 [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/xvda1
 /dev/xvda1: clean, 25465/128256 files, 96182/256256 blocks
 [  OK  ]
 Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:  [  OK  ]
 Mounting local filesystems:  [  OK  ]
 Enabling /etc/fstab swaps:  [  OK  ]
 INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
 Entering non-interactive startup
 Bringing up loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
 Bringing up interface eth0:
 Determining IP information for eth0... failed.
 [FAILED]
 Starting system logger: [  OK  ]
 Starting kernel logger: [  OK  ]
 Mounting other filesystems:  [  OK  ]
 Starting sshd: [  OK  ]

 This is my config:

 [root@temp01 ~]# more /etc/xen/centos.5-1.xen3.cfg
 kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5xen"
 ramdisk = "/boot/xen-guest-initrd"
 memory = 512
 name = "centos.5-1"
 vif = [ '' ]
 dhcp = "dhcp"
 disk = ['file:/home/centos.5-1.img,xvda1,w', 'file://centos.swap,xvda2,w']

 root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers