Re: Xen Coding style

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 8:18 AM Jürgen Groß <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08.05.20 14:55, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> > On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 6:21 AM Julien Grall <julien@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Jan,

> >> Your thread is one of the example why I started this thread. Agreeing on
> >> specific rule doesn't work because it either result to bikesheding or
> >> there is not enough interest to review rule by rule.

> >> I would have assumed that the current situation (i.e
> >> nitpicking/bikeshedding on the ML) is not a good use of your time :).
> >>
> >> I would be happy to put some effort to help getting the coding style
> >> right, however I believe focusing on an overall coding style would value
> >> everyone's time better than a rule by rule discussion.

> >> While I understand this requires another investment from your part, I am
> >> afraid it is going to be painful for someone else to go through all the
> >> existing coding style bikeshedding and infer your unwritten rules.
> >>
> >> It might be more beneficial for that person to pursue the work done by
> >> Tamas and Viktor in the past (see my previous e-mail). This may mean to
> >> adopt an existing coding style (BSD) and then tweak it.
> >
> > Thanks Julien for restarting this discussion. IMHO agreeing on a set
> > of style rules ahead and then applying universally all at once is not
> > going to be productive since we are so all over the place. Instead, I
> > would recommend we start piece-by-piece. We introduce a baseline style
> > checker, then maintainers can decide when and if they want to move
> > their code-base to be under the automated style checker. That way we
> > have a baseline and each maintainer can decide on their own term when
> > they want to have their files be also style checked and in what form.
> > The upside of this route I think is pretty clear: we can have at least
> > partial automation even while we figure out what to do with some of
> > the more problematic files and quirks that are in our code-base. I
> > would highly prefer this route since I would immediately bring all
> > files I maintain over to the automated checker just so I never ever
> > have to deal with this again manually. What style is in use to me
> > really doesn't matter, BSD was very close with some minor tweaks, or
> > even what we use to check the style just as long as we have
> > _something_.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have a patch checker instead and accept
> only patches which change code according to the style guide? This
> wouldn't require to change complete files at a time.

In theory, yes. But in practice this would require that we can agree
on a style that applies to all patches that touch any file within Xen.
We can't seem to do that because there are too many exceptions and
corner-cases and personal-preferences of maintainers that apply only
to a subset of the codebase. So AFAICT what you propose doesn't seem
to be a viable way to start.

Tamas