Re: Xen Coding style

Hi Jan,

On 08/05/2020 12:20, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 08.05.2020 12:00, Julien Grall wrote:
You seem to be the maintainer with the most unwritten rules. Would
you mind to have a try at writing a coding style based on it?

On the basis that even small, single aspect patches to CODING_STYLE
have been ignored [1],

Your thread is one of the example why I started this thread. Agreeing on specific rule doesn't work because it either result to bikesheding or there is not enough interest to review rule by rule.

I don't think this would be a good use of my
time.

I would have assumed that the current situation (i.e nitpicking/bikeshedding on the ML) is not a good use of your time :).

I would be happy to put some effort to help getting the coding style right, however I believe focusing on an overall coding style would value everyone's time better than a rule by rule discussion.

If I was promised (reasonable) feedback, I could take what I
have and try to add at least a few more things based on what I find
myself commenting on more frequently. But really I'd prefer it to
be done the other way around - for people to look at the patches
already sent, and for me to only subsequently send more. After all,
if already those adjustments are controversial, I don't think we
could settle on others.
While I understand this requires another investment from your part, I am afraid it is going to be painful for someone else to go through all the existing coding style bikeshedding and infer your unwritten rules.

It might be more beneficial for that person to pursue the work done by Tamas and Viktor in the past (see my previous e-mail). This may mean to adopt an existing coding style (BSD) and then tweak it.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall