Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 1/2] xen/mm: Clarify the granularity for each Frame Number

On 12/08/15 12:58, Jan Beulich wrote:

>>> I still don't follow - grant mappings ought to be done into ballooned
>>> (i.e. empty) pages, i.e. no memory would get wasted unless there
>>> are too few balloon pages available.
>>
>> Everything balloon out is less memory that can be used by Linux. If we
>> are only using 1/15 of the balloon out page that a huge waste of memory
>> for me.
>
> I still don't get it: A ballooned page does not represent any memory
> (and at least on x86 iirc we start PV domains with 8Mb sort-of-
> pre-ballooned space). Where is the loss you're talking about coming
> from? Or, wait - you don't have PoD (yet) on ARM, so you have no
> choice.

I'm not sure how PoD would affect the problem here...

An ARM guest can be considered as x86 HVM guest + PV drivers. At domain
creation, all the RAM is allocated for this domain.

Furthermore we have no memory hotplug support, so we would steal RAM
page every time we have to balloon out a page.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall