Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 1/2] xen/mm: Clarify the granularity for each Frame Number

>>> The Xen interface will stay 4K even with 64K guest. We have to support
>>> 64K guest/dom0 on the current Xen because some distro may do the choice
>>> to only ship 64K.
>>
>> Interesting. Does Linux on ARM not require any atomic page table
>> entry updates? I ask because I can't see how you would emulate
>> such when you need to deal with 16 of them at a time.
>
> I'm not sure to understand this question.
>
> ARM64 is able to support different page granularity (4KB, 16KB and
> 64KB). You have to setup the page table registers during the boot in
> order to specify the granularity used for the whole page table.

But you said you use 4k pages in Xen nevertheless. I.e. page tables
would still be at 4k granularity, i.e. you'd need to update 16 entries
for a single 64k page. Or can you have 64k pages in L1 and 4k pages
in L2?

>>> In my current implementation of Linux 64K support (see [1]), there is no
>>> changes in Xen (hypervisor and tools). Linux is breaking the 64K page in
>>> 4K chunk.
>>>
>>> When the backend is 64K, it will map the foreign 4K at the top of a 64K
>>> page. It's a waste of memory, but it's easier to implement and it's
>>> still and improvement compare to have Linux crashing at boot.
>>
>> Waste of memory? You're only mapping an existing chunk of memory.
>> DYM waste of address space?
>
> No, I really meant waste of memory. The current grant API in Linux is
> allocating one Linux Page per grant. Although the grant is always 4K, so
> we won't be able to make use of the 60K for anything as long as we use
> this page for a grant.
>
> So if the grant is pre-allocated (such as for PV block), we won't be
> able use nr_grant * 60KB memory.

I still don't follow - grant mappings ought to be done into ballooned
(i.e. empty) pages, i.e. no memory would get wasted unless there
are too few balloon pages available.

Jan