Re: [Xen-devel] xl list -l doesn't work for incoming domain

On 11/12/2014 06:31 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:42:04AM -0500, Zhigang Wang wrote:

>>> What runtime info do you need?
>>
>> Currently we need:
>>
>>   info['domid']
>>   info['config']['b_info']['avail_vcpus']
>>   info['config']['c_info']['uuid']
>>   info['config']['b_info']['target_memkb']
>>
>> Also read vnc port from xenstore.
>>

> Unfortunately this won't work, as not everything you need is in xenstore
> at that point (see the xenstore entries you posted). It's not something
> that can be easily worked around in xl by creating a stub -- even the
> stub needs to get its information from somewhere.
>> We may add more.
>>

> This also means even if we create a stub now, it's still prone to
> breakage in the future.
>
> I think the root cause of your problem is xend and libxl fires
> @introduceDomain at different point (correct me if I'm wrong, because I
> haven't looked at xend code, only inferred from your reply). It should
> be fixed there, not patching xl.

For above I just want to give you an idea what we currently using for normal VM.

For VM under migration, please see below:

>> But during migration, I believe it's OK if some info is missing. Our high
>> level
>> management stack will handle it.

Also I want clarify one thing: the @introduceDomain watch is triggered at the
same
time for xm/xend and xl: when VM fully migrated.

The different between xm/xend and xl is: xend will populate destination side VM
xenstore entries at the beginning of migration. So xm list -l will show almost
the same result as normal VM.

I think right now we can just add little wrapper in xl cli to let xl list -l
show
some info we can get.

Then we have 3 cases in xl list -l:

1. Normal VM.
2. Dom0.
3. VM under migration in the destination side.

They all valid json and 2), 3) are subset of 1). I can accept this design for
now.

Thanks,

Zhigang