From: Ian Campbell [mailto:Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:56 AM
To: Zhang, Eniac
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] passing smbios table from qemu

On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 21:01 +0000, Zhang, Eniac wrote:

> Question, am I missing anything, or this feature (passing smbios) is
> still work in progress?

Under Xen smbios tables are supplied via hvmloader, not via qemu.

What tables and or values do you want to override/supply?

I believe that libxc supports passing in extra smbios tables when building the guest (via struct xc_hvm_build_args.smbios_module) but nothing has been plumbed in to make use of this.

I'm not aware of any on going work to plumb that stuff further up, e.g.
to libxl and xl or other toolstacks. (I think the libxc functionality is only consumed by the XenClient toolstack).

There is also some support in hvmloader for setting certain SMBIOS parameters via xenstore keys. See the varios HVM_XS_* in tools/firmware/hvmloader/smbios.c. It includes things like the system manufacturer, chassis number etc.

Do either of those cover your use case? Are you interested in plumbing them up?

Ian.