Re: [Xen-devel] is kexec on Xen domU possible?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:24:46AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> >> In general I agree but if you could not change hypervisor
> >> and/or dom0 (e.g. you are using cloud providers which are
> >> stick to old versions of Xen) then you have no choice.
> >
> > Which tends to be where kexec on panic comes in most cases.  Getting
> > platform vendors to do something sane tends to be a multi-year political
> > effort of dubious worth while just solving the problem locally actually
> > gets the problem solved for those who care.
> >

> It should not be a "one or the other" issue.

I don't care about kdump, I care about kexec on domU for people who are
running on cloud providers with old versions of Xen so that they can
control what kernel they can boot, when they want to boot it.  If kdump
works as well, that's just a bonus, but it's down on the list of things
for me to be concerned about.

thanks,

greg k-h