Re: [Xen-devel] is kexec on Xen domU possible?

Daniel Kiper <daniel.kiper@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > Ok, thanks for confirming that it is possible, but doesn't currently
>> > work for pv guests.
>> >

>> Also, in any virtualized environment the hypervisor can do a better job
>> for things like kdump, simply because it can provide two things that are
>> otherwise hard to do:
>>
>> 1. a known-good system state;
>> 2. a known-clean kdump image.
>>
>> As such, I do encourage the virtualization people to (also) develop
>> hypervisor-*aware* solutions for these kinds of things.
>
> In general I agree but if you could not change hypervisor
> and/or dom0 (e.g. you are using cloud providers which are
> stick to old versions of Xen) then you have no choice.

Which tends to be where kexec on panic comes in most cases.  Getting
platform vendors to do something sane tends to be a multi-year political
effort of dubious worth while just solving the problem locally actually
gets the problem solved for those who care.

Eric