Re: [Xen-devel] 4.2 TODO / Release Status

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 11:11 -0400, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 03:38:53PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 10:09 -0400, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > * Directory usage in libxl
> > >   - dumps in /var/xen: wtf?
> > However I don't think this is somewhere that xl (nb: this is a property
> > of xl, not libxl) needs to slavishly follow what xend did.
> > What would the correct FHS location for these dumps be?
>
> Unsure. The FHS defines /var/crash for system crash dumps, but it is not
> used everywhere. So I would use /var/lib/xen/dump or so.

OK. Do you have that patch to hand?

> > >   - user data files in /var/lib/xen:
> > >     What are the guarantees given for this files?
> > I suppose you are asking for /var/lib vs /var/run (or /run) reasons?
>
> Exactly.

Do you have that patch to hand too?

> > One of the keys by which you lookup this userdata is domid. Which means
> > that the lifetime of this data is bounded by the life of a domain. Which
> > means that it need not persist over reboot (which I think argues for
> > (/var)?/run)
>
> I don't think rebooting the control domain without rebooting Xen will
> work right now. So /var/run is the correct location.

Right. (Can you guess my next question...)

Do you have that patch to hand too?

( ;-) )

> On further thoughts: Why not push them into xenstore?

AIUI the userdata facility is provided specifically for data which is
unsuitable for xenstore, due to size or whatever (XS has various limits,
to avoid abuse, which are relatively low).

> > >   - /var/run/libxl for temporary files
> > Are you suggesting that this is being wrongly used by libxl, or that
> > libxl should use this location for more things than it currently does?
> > Perhaps some stuff should instead be in /tmp or $TMPDIR?
>
> $TMPDIR or the fallback /tmp is the correct location.
>
> > Other than the xs.h naming issue I don't see anything here which I think
> > is a blocker for 4.2, I'd say they are mostly "nice to have".
>
> I'm just collecting changes for the Debian packages.

Sure. I guess you will send out those patches as and when you are happy
with them?

Cheers,
Ian.