Re: [Xen-devel] 4.2 TODO / Release Status

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 03:38:53PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 10:09 -0400, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > * Directory usage in libxl
> >   - dumps in /var/xen: wtf?
> However I don't think this is somewhere that xl (nb: this is a property
> of xl, not libxl) needs to slavishly follow what xend did.
> What would the correct FHS location for these dumps be?

Unsure. The FHS defines /var/crash for system crash dumps, but it is not
used everywhere. So I would use /var/lib/xen/dump or so.

> >   - user data files in /var/lib/xen:
> >     What are the guarantees given for this files?
> I suppose you are asking for /var/lib vs /var/run (or /run) reasons?

Exactly.

> One of the keys by which you lookup this userdata is domid. Which means
> that the lifetime of this data is bounded by the life of a domain. Which
> means that it need not persist over reboot (which I think argues for
> (/var)?/run)

I don't think rebooting the control domain without rebooting Xen will
work right now. So /var/run is the correct location.

On further thoughts: Why not push them into xenstore?

> >   - /var/run/libxl for temporary files
> Are you suggesting that this is being wrongly used by libxl, or that
> libxl should use this location for more things than it currently does?
> Perhaps some stuff should instead be in /tmp or $TMPDIR?

$TMPDIR or the fallback /tmp is the correct location.

> Other than the xs.h naming issue I don't see anything here which I think
> is a blocker for 4.2, I'd say they are mostly "nice to have".

I'm just collecting changes for the Debian packages.

Bastian

--
There is a multi-legged creature crawling on your shoulder.
                -- Spock, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.9