Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 10481: regressions - FAIL

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 15:06 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 10481: regressions
> - FAIL"):
> > Just to clarify a bit further: do you think libxl_domain_shutdown should
> > implement this fallback or should it be left to xl to do?
>
> I'm not sure.
>
> > Shall "xl reboot"/libxl_domain_reboot do the same?
>
> Yes.
>
> Putting those things together, it seems to me that something needs to
> know that "reboot" or "shutdown" are being simulated with the power
> button.

I think this requires deferring the fallback to xl. Which makes sense
since other toolstacks may have other policies in this regard.

> That's so that if you say "reboot" or "shutdown" and we press the
> guest's power button, we know whether, when the guest does shut down,
> whether we actually want to restart it.

That would involve potentially communicating with the daemonized version
of xl which is monitoring the domain (if it exists) and/or taking over
it's function in the xl instance running the shutdown.

I'm tempted to just go with the minimal improvement at this stage.

Ian.