Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 10481: regressions - FAIL

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 14:20 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 10481: regressions
> - FAIL"):
> > I was about half way through implementing this when it occurred to me
> > that the reaction to a power button press is a guest OS option and can
> > result in a shutdown, a reboot or even a suspend.
> >
> > Unless I'm mistaken?
>
> Firstly, aren't there several possible indications we could send, in
> which case we pick one most likely to make the guest shut down ?

The choices are (omitting the ia64 only ones):
xen/include/public/domctl.h:#define XEN_DOMCTL_SENDTRIGGER_NMI    0
xen/include/public/domctl.h:#define XEN_DOMCTL_SENDTRIGGER_POWER  3
xen/include/public/domctl.h:#define XEN_DOMCTL_SENDTRIGGER_SLEEP  4

Of those I think POWER is the only appropriate one and we have no
control over what it will actually do.

> Secondly, having the guest attempt to reboot is probably better than
> simply shooting it in the head.  (We could even intercept that and
> have it be destroyed anyway.)  At least this way if the user wants
> graceful shutdown they can configure the guest to do a shutdown and
> then xl shutdown will work.
>
> At the moment it doesn't work at all without pv drivers.

You can explicitly ask for a power button event with "xl button-press".
At a minimum the error message should point to this in preference to
destroy.

You can also send the same event with "xl trigger". Quite why we need
two ways to do this I've no idea...

Ian.