Re: [Xen-devel] Suggestion: drop python 2.3 support for xen-3.5

>>> <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 19.08.09 12:20 >>>
>What is your idea about future python support and timelines?  Do
>you think e.g. python 2.2 should be supported in xen-3.5 also?
>(In one of the documents this version is still mentioned.)

If any actively supported distro still uses it - yes.

>[Are you running xen-unstable on a production environment?

No, in a development env.

>I also do not understand: when you currently run xen unstable, why do
>you concern about support? You are already miles out of the support
>line.  :-)

No, since I don't remove/replace the Xen version that comes with the
distro, but run various Xen versions side by side. I have severe doubts
that this is possible with Python (even with Xen it's not as simple as it
ought to be - just see how easy it is to run different kernel versions on
the same box all underneath the same single distro).

>So when you are asked to 'restore the "stock" state' you also remove
>xen unstable?]

As per above - no.

>SLES 10 comes with python 2.4 (Service Pack 2 uses 2.4.2). SLES runs out
>of 'General Support' on 31 Jul 2013 [1] - at this point of time you
>should think about updating. And SLES 11 comes already with python 2.6.
>
>Can I interpret your answer as: dropping python 2.3 support is ok for
>you, but python 2.4 must be supported for at least a couple of years?

Not really - I'd still like to be able to also run Xen on my one remaining SLES9
box (until SLES9 goes out of support), which uses 2.3.3.

Jan