Re: [Xen-devel] Suggestion: drop python 2.3 support for xen-3.5

Hello!

<xen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 19.08.09 12:20 >>>
What is your idea about future python support and timelines?  Do
you think e.g. python 2.2 should be supported in xen-3.5 also?
(In one of the documents this version is still mentioned.)

If any actively supported distro still uses it - yes.

That's a very strange argumentation: So you think if there is
somewhere in the world somebody who supports a distribution for the
next 20 years which uses python 2.2 Xen has to support python 2.2 for
this time?  (I cannot really believe that you think this...)

No, since I don't remove/replace the Xen version that comes with the
distro, but run various Xen versions side by side. I have severe doubts
that this is possible with Python [...]

lenny$ ls -l /usr/bin/python2.?
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1053228 17. Feb 2009  /usr/bin/python2.4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1174292 17. Feb 2009  /usr/bin/python2.5

[Are you running xen-unstable on a production environment?

No, in a development env.

SLES 10 comes with python 2.4 (Service Pack 2 uses 2.4.2). SLES runs out
of 'General Support' on 31 Jul 2013 [1] - at this point of time you
should think about updating. And SLES 11 comes already with python 2.6.

Can I interpret your answer as: dropping python 2.3 support is ok for
you, but python 2.4 must be supported for at least a couple of years?

Not really - I'd still like to be able to also run Xen on my one remaining SLES9
box (until SLES9 goes out of support), which uses 2.3.3.

To be sure that I get this correct: you are developing for xen-unstable on a
SLES9 box?  Are you planning to go in production with this?  Where do you get
support from?
And: you like to run Xen unstable on SLES9 but you don't want to upgrade and
you think (because you like it) this is a reason why python 2.3 support
should not be dropped for Xen unstable?

Kind regards

Andreas