Re: [Xen-devel] [Q] Is qemu used when we use VTd?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:47:11 +0800
"Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yuji Shimada, how do you think to restrict the AER to host side,
> i.e. when a uncorrectable error happen, we can kill the guest and
> FLR the device, to avoid the whole system be desotried, at least for
> first step.

I think restricting the AER to host side is a good idea for first
step, because implementation will be simple.

By the way, Can we recover error condition by only FLR? Resetting link
from root port is needed on some error, isn't it?

> As to PCI-E feature in guest side, I think it maybe complex,
> especially I'm not sure how to handle some PCI-E featue that
> requires operation for the whole hierarchy. For example, the VT/TC
> may requires changes to the switch and root port's setting. The AER
> handling in Linux may require reset link from root port. IMO, it is
> complex to hanle such feature.

I agree with you that implementing full PCI-E future in guest side
will be complex. I don't think VT/TC in guest side is needed. But, AER
in guest side is required in the long term, because guest OS will be
able to handle AER and recover error condition.

Thanks,

--
Yuji Shimada